What do Termite prevention and Gutter Clogs Have in Common?
5 specific things that can lead to termites infesting a home.
Every homeowner dreads to hear the word TERMITES when someone is speaking about their house. So what actually causes these critters to be interested in particular homes? Below are 5 specific things that can lead to termites infesting a home.
- Clogged Gutters. It is not commonly thought that clogged gutters lead to termite problems. But clogged gutters can cause water to start to flow over the side of the gutter to the foundation of your home. This will moisten the ground making it an ideal place for them to enter. Clogged gutters and leaf debris collecting on your roof and near your soffit can lead to great conditions for termites as well.
- Termites need moisture to survive. Having improper drainage around your home such as downspouts not working correctly or not getting water far enough away from your home. This can lead to water sitting around your home. They are drawn to moisture.
- Tree Limbs. Tree limbs that come into contact with your home are a direct route for them to enter. They also can cause more moisture to your home, since the water cannot evaporate as quickly. Trim tree limbs away from your home.
- Bushes/Mulch. Wood mulch can make the landscaping look great, but you want to keep it away from your foundation. As with bushes too, keeping them trimmed down and away from the foundation is key too.
- It is what termites eat. Having woodpiles stacked up closely around your home can lead to serious problems. If you can set woodpiles away from the house and off of the ground. It may be a little more inconvenient for wood-burning fireplaces, but it will protect your home.
If you think your home may already be having issues with termites contact a professional.
Better sooner than later when it comes to termites and the damage they can cause. If you are looking for some more information on termites and homes check out this article by esurance. If you are looking to end some of these issues such as downspout problems or clogged gutters, give us a call for a free, no-hassle estimate.